Codes and Forms

Download California code (PDF)

When under contract with a ReWater client, we provide that client with a Code Compliance form that takes their plan checker through the entire California greywater irrigation code, Chapter 15 of the California Plumbing Code. It proceeds in the order the code is written, explaining how your building, its landscape, and the ReWater® system meet every criteria for a permit.

To complete that form, we will need 1) your site plan, showing the building in relation to the property lines, 2) the location of the potable water source, 3) the location of wastewater connection, 4) your soil report, and 5) an approximated drawing and square footage of the future greywater-irrigated landscape.

If your building meets the code criteria, and almost all do, you should be able to obtain a permit anywhere in California or any other state that uses the UPC for a plumbing code.

California’s greywater code is extremely difficult to navigate if you haven’t personally gone through the permit process before. Most people have found our Code Compliance form very helpful in obtaining a permit.

ReWater worked a total of over 7 years during three different legislative processes with the California Department of Water Resources and Department of Health Services and numerous local agencies, environmental groups, and other water recycling businesses to write the original and second state greywater code.

In 2009 – 2010, we then worked with California’s Department of Housing and Community Development on Chapter 16, and in 2013 again. We revised our Compliance Form now that the code has been moved to Chapter 15. We keep it constantly updated as the code evolves.

If you’re looking for a robust and legal system to increase the value and resale value of your building, you need a permit in most states. ReWater’s Code Compliance form certainly makes obtaining a permit easier.

A special note for people in Arizona: Under state law, single-family homes producing less than 400 gallons of graywater per day do not need a permit for a greywater irrigation system unless a local jurisdiction has passed an ordinance requiring one. Most of the big cities there have now passed some type of ordinance to that effect. Multi-family, Commercial, and institutional systems always require a permit even in Arizona.